Monday, July 9, 2012

All For You

The church we have been going to has been doing a church wide campaign called "Not a Fan".  Actually there are many churches that seem to be picking up on this and doing some kind of "Not a Fan" campaign. Whether it be on a large scale where every group from kids, to the adults and everything in between or just being taught on Sunday's mornings.  I have heard it said many times that Christ does not want people to just cheer Him on, but he wants us to drop everything and follow him.  He not only told his disciples to leave everything and follow Him but he tells us to do the same. He also tells us to pick up our crosses daily and follow him. But what does all this really mean? I am not a biblical scholar, no will I tell you that I have read the bible from beginning to end (actually I am trying to do that now).  So honestly I can't really say what all that means.  I can do word studies on the word follow and I can do studies on what it means to pick up your cross.  All I know is that I don't want to be standing in front of my Father one day and have him look at me and ask "Were you my fan or were you my follower?"  Wow!

So here is my take and my hearts felt understanding about what it means to be a Fan vs. a Follower. A fan of Christ is someone who just follows him and says yep I am a believer in Christ and when I die I am going to heaven.  They marvel at all he does, they cheer, they shout when something great happens.  A fan does not want to give up those things that are important, are willing to follow when the time is right for them.  A fan will only be around while things are good.  This is not what Christ calls us to be He asks us to leave everything behind .  He tells us to drop everything and pick up our crosses and follow Him.

A follower is someone who willingly lets go and follows.  They are interested in the individual they are following and desires to be taught by that person.  They are willing to go wherever that person goes.  They are willing to do anything and everything within their power for that person.  I remember growing up always being told that you need to be a leader not a follower.  I totally understand that, but when we are in a relationship with Jesus that is exactly what he asks us to do is to drop everything and follow him.  He asks us are you willing to surrender everything in you life, to be totally sold out for Him, to go where he tells you to go, to do what he asks us to do.  A fan will say yes but only to this point.  A follower says take my life and let it be used for your glory.

I have given you the meanings of the words fan and follower below:

Fan:   is a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art form, or famous person.  
Follower:   is a person who supports and admires, a person who takes an active interest, and a person who moves or travels behind someone.  

Even before we moved to North Carolina, I totally surrender my life to Christ.  I asked Christ to take all that I am and all that I have and use it for His glory to full fill His plan in my life.  I want my life to be a living sacrifice, pure and holy for His glory.  I want Him to take all that I am and all that I have and bring about his will.  I will choose to pick up my cross daily and follow him.  I choose to surrender to His will daily.

See being a follower means sacrificing the things we think we need, and want in order to do the things God needs and wants us to do.  It means no longer standing on the side lines cheering.  When I stand before my Father some day and He looks at me I want him to say "Well done my good and faithful servant, you were not just a fan, but you surrendered everything and gave everything so that My work here on earth could continue.  Welcome home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment