Thursday, July 5, 2012

When Sleep Does Not Come So Easily

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you O Lord, make me dwell in safety" Psalm 4:8

Last night I could not fall asleep for anything.  I tossed and turned, got up and down.  My problem was I had so many thoughts running through my mind, I just could not shut my mind off.  No matter how hard I tried the thoughts would not stop rushing in like a flood.  I suppose that is due to where I am at right now, needing to be on the go (which is really hard when it is hot), needing to be busy, just needing to be doing something.  Add in the fact that I really do not like the heat, it really makes it very difficult to go out and actually do.  So I find myself busy cleaning and cleaning and cleaning.  Yes, things can only be so clean, but what else is a person to do when they need to be doing, but does not want get out and do.  Nights of no sleep happen often for me, and the less sleep I get (this may sound weird) but the less sleep I feel I need.

During times like now it is very hard finding peace during restlessness, and rushing thoughts.  So usually I just get up and sit in the dark hoping peace and quiet will come eventually, and yes eventually it comes, but only to allow me about 2-3 hours of sleep.  But I can get up and just go, go, go.  Yes, I feel tired, but in a weird way that tired feeling energizes me.  Yea I know it is strange but that is what happens, the less sleep the more energized I feel, until eventually I don't feel like I need any sleep and I can go without sleep for a few days, and then I crash and sleep no longer is an issue.

This morning during my bible reading time (I am reading the bible through with Jeremiah) the above verse is one that I read this morning.  How great is God to let me know that even though in my mind things are going wild, and I may not feel safe when I have those rushing thoughts of past hurts, wrongs done by me and wrongs done to me, fear of the past, fear of the present, and even fear of the future, God has me read this verse today.  It basically says that God will cause the peace to arise so that I can lie down and sleep in His dwelling place of safety (which by the way He has created).  God will make away for the peace to come and make me feel safe.  God is amazing!  He just does not care about my heart and where my heart is, He also cares about my sleep.

I don't know if you struggle with sleep, but find peace in knowing that God will bring you peace in your times of restlessness, fears, or whatever it is that causes you not to sleep.  He will even make a dwelling place for you to rest in His safety.  How awesome is that!!!

Dear Father,
You word tells us that you care about whether or not we get sleep.  It also tells us that when we sleep you make for us a dwelling place that is safe.  Father, I ask that during those times when thoughts are rushing in like a flood that you calm those thoughts and bring peace to not only bring rest, but comfort as well.
In Your Name I Pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment